Winters can be brutal in New York. Taking some simple and easy steps can drastically improve your situation at home. Here are some good pointers:
1. Clear off radiator and vents - Get the dirt off of them, prop the curtains away from them. Consider not putting your couch right in front of the radiator or baseboard
2. Clean and tune the boiler/furnace - Filter swap outs and a heating professional actually cleaning the system can drastically improve conditions.
3. Thermostat control - Keep the temperature consistent. Only drop it down 5 degrees when no one is home. Have it go back up to normal 30min before someone arrives home or wakes up.
3. Caulking - Outside facing window trim, door trim, and floor trim all could be caulked. This needs to be done about every 5 years because it cracks over time. We would recommend clear silicone for any molding that isn't white on white. We would recommend white acrylic if your caulking something that is white on white.
4. Walk through the home and make sure all the windows are tightly shut and locked. Take out window ACs. If it doesn't shut or seal well give us a call for replacement windows.
5. Insulation - This would require a home energy audit from Green Home Logic. Our technician will evaluate the existing condition of your insulation. The attic insulation and the exterior wall insulation all can be scanned using an infrared camera in the winter to determine its effectiveness. These areas are the number one solution for increasing the comfort of the home.
If you had any questions please let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks stay warm New York!