Home Energy Ratings are similar to a “Miles Per Gallon” rating on a car, providing easy-to-understand visual reports that give the homeowner insight into how their home performs in areas like insulation, air leakage, heating and cooling efficiency, and hot water heating.
Home energy audits identify how and where your home is wasting energy, which systems/appliances may be working ineffectively, and what actions you can take to make your home more efficient. Audits look comprehensively at all areas of your home, such as how well your home is insulated, the effectiveness of your heating and cooling equipment, appliance and lighting characteristics, any health and safety issues, and more. For more in-depth information on home energy audits performed by Green Home Logic visit the www.greenhomelogic.com/energyaudit
Benefits of Home Energy Audits
Energy Usage. Audits help you understand how much energy your home is using, and which products or systems (such as heating and cooling systems) are using the most.
Unknown Issues. Audits can uncover hidden problems (such as leaky air ducts or uninsulated walls) that may be making your home less efficient and increasing your utility bills.
Health and Safety. Audits can uncover potential health and safety concerns (such as improper ventilation, which may cause mold and mildew growth and degrade air quality).
Opportunities. Once an audit is complete, you will receive a prioritized list of potential improvements to help determine where your home improvement dollars would be best spent.
Savings and Comfort. Acting on audit recommendations will not only help you save on your utility bills but also increase the comfort of your home by better moderating the temperature, eliminating drafts, and improving air quality.
Have you been thinking about your heating costs this winter?
The first thing to do is have your no-cost energy audit done by a trained technician at Green Home Logic. All technicians are certified by the Building Performance Insititute. All energy audits are fully funded by PSEG Long Island or NYSERDA for New York City. Meaning it won't cost you anything.
Winters can be brutal in New York. Taking some simple and easy steps can drastically improve your situation at home. Here are some good pointers:
1. Clear off radiator and vents - Get the dirt off of them, prop the curtains away from them. Consider not putting your couch right in front of the radiator or baseboard
2. Clean and tune the boiler/furnace - Filter swap outs and a heating professional actually cleaning the system can drastically improve conditions.
3. Thermostat control - Keep the temperature consistent. Only drop it down 5 degrees when no one is home. Have it go back up to normal 30min before someone arrives home or wakes up.
3. Caulking - Outside facing window trim, door trim, and floor trim all could be caulked. This needs to be done about every 5 years because it cracks over time. We would recommend clear silicone for any molding that isn't white on white. We would recommend white acrylic if your caulking something that is white on white.
4. Walk through the home and make sure all the windows are tightly shut and locked. Take out window ACs. If it doesn't shut or seal well give us a call for replacement windows.
5. Insulation - This would require a home energy audit from Green Home Logic. Our technician will evaluate the existing condition of your insulation. The attic insulation and the exterior wall insulation all can be scanned using an infrared camera in the winter to determine its effectiveness. These areas are the number one solution for increasing the comfort of the home.
If you had any questions please let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks stay warm New York!